Sunday, September 28, 2008

Horn Tooting

As I may have mentioned before, there are a lot of annoying people in my class.

Before you get all crazy on me about that statement, let me explain.

There are 29 people in my class. (Yes, someone has already dropped out.)

There are a few who are pretty quiet. They don't ask many questions (because they might actually think before they speak). They don't talk to many other people in the class at this point. They especially don't talk while the instructor is talking. One of those people is me.

Then you have the people who have already cliqued themselves out. They already run with a pack. A lot of them are smokers, they automatically seem to flock together.

There's a few people who don't fit in either of these groups, but maybe do a little of both.

But there are about 3 or 4 students who LOVE to toot their own horn. This is so damn annoying.

When we're talking about breath sounds, it makes no difference to our learning experience if YOU heard something at the nursing home you work at. At this point, we've been in RT school only a month, so it doesn't help us at all to know about the medicine you give to kids at the hospital where you're a Pharmacy Tech. You're wife's a nurse, you were once a CNA. That's FANTASIC!! Tell us when it matters. Right now, nobody is fascinated by your story that really doesn't have anything to do with what we're trying to learn right now AT ALL.

When our CP A&P instructor put up a picture of a pneomothorax and asked everyone which side it was on, everyone said "the right," and I kept shaking my head. [Internal Dialogue] No! The left! Air is clear (black) on an X-Ray! I've seen pneumos on babies at the hospital!!

But did I whip out my horn and toot it? No.

A few more weeks have passed and I've noticed the tooting die down a little.

Now if we could just do something about the stupid questions. And educate people on what they should have known about becoming an RT - stuff they should have known before they signed up for this.... Class would be even more envigorating.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!!! (Yes, I'm still alive...)

There are people in our class who want to think they know everything about RT and we are all in the same part of the program. I guarantee you they're gonna flip when they graduate and get caught in a code with one of their patients...