Thursday, December 24, 2009

Graduation Eve

In 18 days, I will return to school for what is the last semester before I graduate - hopefully.

Last semester was horrible. I took on a bit too much with school and work. It's all good now. I'm still thanking God every day for such a "stunning" husband.

I know I haven't posted in a super long time. I should have, to get my thoughts out there. But there was a time where if I wasn't at school or studying, I'd just rather go to bed. And I did.... several times.

I'm not gonna sugar-coat this, but if you're thinking about RT school, know that it is very challenging. Mentally prepare yourself for the change in your lifestyle. This aspect may not effect everyone the same. But, for me, when your life consists of just working a cake job full-time and pretty much doing anything you want in your spare time, to working barely-part-time and not being able to plan a single thing in your life because of tests and school, it can be a slap in the face.

Oh, and when it's Summer semester and for the first time you walk up to a patient on a ventilator and your face must look screwed up like you're watching a ghost so your instructor says, "It's okay, you'll be fine, it's just 'a box that blows air,'" that's clever or whatever, but, no, there's just a smidge more to it than that. Know your vent stuff, those things can do amazing stuff.

On the eve of graduation, my advice is still: record your lectures. Also, avoid the drama as best you can, make time for yourself - find just an hour or so to do a hobby or activity you used to have so you don't feel like you've totally lost yourself in the chaos.

Breaking my sewing machine out of storage this winter break has brought me so much joy, even when the thing was acting crazy and making me frustrated. Reading fiction and non-school books has also been wonderful. It's nice to have these things back and I plan on setting aside just a bit of time next semester to continue to enjoy these things.

Another hobby I took up is going to church. It has helped so much. I should have gotten into it sooner. Sunday is a day I am always looking forward to.

I hope all my RT student fellow-bloggers and any readers out there who happen to stumble by have a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

See you then :)

No comments: